Welcome to Croptomize!
Croptomize is an algorithmic trading engine that translates market volatility into clear actionable signals for farmers. By leveraging big data and artificial intelligence (AI) our product drives farm profitability by automating risk management decision-making and solving the crucial problem of market timing for grain sales.
What is Croptomize?
Through the use of big data and modern technology, Croptomize brings the financial and marketing tools previously reserved for big corporations to the modern-day farmer. These tools enable farmers to make better financial decisions in the hope of building a sustainable and profitable farming operation for generations to come.
“Croptomize isn’t here to tell you what to do, we’re here to help you figure out the best time to do it. “
Croptomize Pro Features
- Algorithmic: The decision-making of the hedge program is fully automated and non-discretionary. It does not succumb to emotion.
- Continuous Coverage: Croptomize Pro works continuously from spring planting through March of the following year. This allows for maximum flexibility to manage basis, storage, and logistics.
- Dynamic Hedging: Croptomize Pro is always managing downside risk with a combination of short futures and long puts. If Croptomize Pro likes a crop price it will lock it in by selling futures. If it thinks prices are too low to warrant sales, it will buy puts and wait for a rally. It will also trade back and forth if market conditions warrant.
- Hedgers & Non-Hedgers: Not comfortable hedging? The signals provided by Croptomize Pro are an impartial third party perspective to help you navigate volatility and optimize cash grain sales.
- Seasonal Timing: To prevent over-hedging too early in the growing season, the hedge commitment level begins at 50% of theoretical bushels and gradually scales up to 100% algorithmically based on USDA national crop progress metrics.
- Capture the Carry: Carries are automatically captured with hedges rolled forward at optimal levels according to back-tested results. This allows for maximum flexibility to manage basis and logistics.
Croptomize was conceived and created by two partners with a unique set of skills to bring tools to family farms once only available to Big Ag. Croptomize Pro is one of the tools in The Farm CFO suite of tools where you can learn more and subscribe.
Updates from the Croptomize team
Private exporters reported to the U.S. Department of Agriculture export sales of 686,000 metric tons of corn for delivery to China.
Ethanol data shows improvement and corn, soybeans and wheat all closed weaker in a quiet, light-volume session.
Planting of corn, soybeans and spring wheat and winter conditions improve.
Global equity markets and U.S. ag markets are starting the week out in the red after the White House escalated tensions with China.
Corn is holding the line, soybeans bounced and wheat finished the week mixed.
Wheat, corn and soybeans recovered from midday losses and ethanol output continues to slow.
Corn tested last week’s lows and bean and wheat acres are on the rise.
USDA reports, forecasts and rain pressuring values.
The CFTC shockingly reported that managed funds were net sellers of corn futures in the week ending April 21st.
Widespread reports of significant planting progress and long range forecasts show some much needed precipitation.
Trade rumors suggest that China may be looking to boost strategic corn reserves by 20 million tonnes.
A discussion with Darin Newsom about the new normal of agriculture.